There’s a plan to build a trail that will lead from Pineville to uptown to Cabarrus County. The Cross Charlotte Trail, XCLT, is a proposed 26-mile trail stretching diagonally across the county.
The details (from our friends at CharlotteFive):
– The trail would stretch from Pineville in southwest Mecklenburg County to the Cabarrus County line, winding through uptown and areas like Park Road Shopping Center, Freedom Park, NoDa and UNC Charlotte.
– It would be seamless and separated from automobile traffic, and could also be used by runners and walkers.
– The project is a city and county partnership, using segments of greenways that already exist, including the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.
– 7.6 miles of the trail already exist. The county will build 5.5 miles of trail and the city will build 12.8 miles.
– According to the Charlotte Future website, about 98,000 jobs and 80,000 residents will be located within a half mile of the proposed trail.