The flu is hitting hard early this year. Here are some things you can do to avoid the flu:
- Get vaccinated. It takes about two weeks for the vaccination to build antibodies to protect from flu, but it begins offering at least some protection much sooner.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then discard the tissue promptly.
- Wash hands frequently, preferably with soap and water or an approved hand sanitizer.
- Stay home when you are sick until you are fever-free for at least 24 hours.
- If you contract a flu-like illness and have health issues that make you vulnerable to complications from flu, see a doctor.
Source: N.C. Department of Health and Human Services